Last evening we had the honor of recognizing our McCaskey girls basketball team at our School Board meeting. They will compete against Cedar Crest this Thursday in the second round of district playoffs. Best wishes to the players and Coach McCloud, Coach Woods, and Coach Simpson in post season play. I know you will continue to make us McCaskey Proud!
The Board of School Directors also voted to approve Dr. Stacey Marten to fill the current Board vacancy. Dr. Marten is a past Board Member and will remain in the position through November 2017.
I am proud to share the Board approved a new two year contract with Camelot who oversees both Phoenix Academy and Buehrle. We appreciate their partnership and support them as they strive to meet the needs of all students.
Lastly, McCaskey did it again! Please take a minute to watch their latest heartwarming video. Great job, Campus!
As always, I appreciate your continued support and dedication to the work we do each day. It’s never easy but it sure is rewarding to watch our students succeed!
The following elections and retirements were approved at last evening’s board meeting. See attachment.
The following are highlights from the February School Board Meeting:
1. Superintendent Rau recognized the McCaskey Girls Basketball Team for their successful season. They ended regular play as Lancaster-Lebanon League Runner-ups and defeated Hempfield Monday evening in the first round of district play-offs.
Superintendent Rau also gave an update on our GEAR UP program which aims to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. She shared both immediate and long term goals to assist with the success of the program.
2. Student Board Reps: McCaskey students Hannah Short and Jovanny Collado shared highlights from the Campus and our middle schools.
3. Approval of Contracts and Operations Contracts/Agreements
4. Approval of Land Owner Agreement and Letter of Commitment for the Rain Garden Project at Hand Middle School
5. Approval of K3/K4 Conversion Plan
6. Approval of the Submission of the Chapter 339 School Counseling Plan to PA Department of Education
7. Approval of Board Policies:
404 Employment of Professional Employees
818 Contracted Services
8. Discussion Items – First Readings/Board Policies (approval/vote next month)
313 Evaluation of Employees
328 Compensation Plans/Salary Schedules
803 School Calendar
9. Board Vacancy Process Discussion – approval of Stacey Marten.
10. Next meeting: March 21, 2017 at McCaskey East B123 @ 7 p.m.
Reminder: There is a correction to our current school year calendar. The May Primary Election Day – which is a “Schools Closed/Snow Make-up Day” – is Tuesday, May 16, not Tuesday, May 9. Therefore schools will be closed on May 16, not May 9.
Please note: this day only becomes a snow make-up day if it is necessary.
May 10 – Early Dismissal
May 16 – Schools Closed/Offices Open/Snow Make-up Day, if needed
May 29 – District Closed
Don’t miss this year’s musical and a “Day in the Park with Mary Poppins” at the McCaskey Campus!
Mark your calendar for this year’s Wheatland MS Musical: Willie Wonka, Jr. on Friday, March 3 and Saturday, March 4. Both performances begin at 7:00 p.m. There is no cost for tickets but donations to the music program are greatly appreciated.
Support the McCaskey Track and Field Team by participating in the 5K Color Run on the McCaskey Campus on Saturday, March 25 at 11:00 a.m. Click the link for more information.